Friday, February 8, 2008

Pumping gas

After I took CB to school yesterday, I stopped at QT for gas. While pumping, I went inside for my new favorite beverage - a vanilla steamer coffee. While waiting to pay for the coffee, at least 3 people came inside to tell the clerks that one of the gas pumps was overflowing. They kept saying pump #2. I didn't pay attention until I decided to look and see which pump my car was parked at --- of course if was #2. One of the clerks behind the register said it had been shut off. As I left the store, another girl came to tell about the leak. I told her it was my car and as I got closer I saw another girl holding the pump. She couldn't hang it up because she only had flip flops on (not so bright for 40 degrees), so she handed it to me and I hung it up. Once I thanked her, I tried to use paper towels to get the gas off my feet. As I was cleaning up, a clerk came out to sprinkle what looked like kitty litter on the spill. I asked him if that was common for the auto-shut off to fail. He said it wasn't common but it was a good idea to stay with the car while it pumps. I think I will follow his advice in the future.

When I told CB about this, she reminded me of her friend's experience with overflowing gas and how I said 'that never happens'. My bad.

2 comments:

Camrie said...

Hehe, because you didn't listen to me. =]

That's pretty crazy, though. =[]

Rae said...

Oh, Karin! If you went to our usual gas station the Nazi Gas Attendant would have yelled at you over the intercom system. We no longer have auto-shut-off in our state so people use their gas caps instead. Yikes! Don't get on the Nazi Gas lady's bad side!!!

Maybe this wouldn't have happened if you had gone inside for a Diet Pepsi instead of a coffee? :O)